Pre-monsoon Checklist for Building
Why a checklist?
A checklist is a list of tasks you need to check, inspect & verify. Checklists are used in every imaginable field — from building inspections to structural operations. Using a checklist allows you to ensure you don’t forget any important steps and comply with the standard operating procedures.
Why Pre-Monsoon checklist for buildings?
Monsoon in India begins nearly in early June. With the monsoon, the weather becomes pleasant, gloomy, and smells of mother earth spreading the joy of rain!
During monsoon, because of rain, there are likely chances of the Water penetration in the structure which not only deteriorates them but also creates a chance of water percolating through them. So, it turns out as essential to have a precautionary check to avoid the damages in the structural building wisely.
Here’s a list for your ready reference.
1. Check for the Cracks
- At Terraces
- At Sidewalls
- At Chajjas
2. Check the seals
- Windows & Ventilations of Lift rooms, Basements
- Doors of Lift room
- Doors of Staircase lobby
- Entry & Holes of Cables for TV & Internets
- flashing & joints
3. Ensure proper slope
- At Terrace slab level
- At Chajja level
- at Parapet covers
4. Ensure the Cleaning:
- at Mouth of the drainage area / down take
- at Strome water drain pipe
- at Water Harvesting reservoir
- of bird’s droppings
- of small grown roots & climbers
- below the water tank area (if on the platform)
5. Check no exposure of any electric cables, junction boxes to be open
6. Installations & Fixes:
- Installing & covering open ducts
- Closing the cutout lefts of cable & pipe entry
- Checking & fixing covers for water tank, septic tanks.
- Installation of Shades over open windows & balconies
- Installation of skirting at doors for the terrace, staircase & lift room
- Replacing the broken glasses, facades and other cladding materials
- Dummy holes & loose fixes of the pipes & cables
- Clamping of downtake pipes
7. For Basements:
- Provision, commissioning & operation of the Sump pump in the basement
- Leaks from the negative pressure on retaining walls
- Outside packing of the junction of retaining wall & ground area
Oh my gosh! That’s too much to check at.
No, this is just little against the damages which it can bring to the structure and inconvenience which can bring to mental and financial peace.
Remember: PREVENTION is BETTER than CURE!
[…] Also read: Pre-Monsoon checklist for Building Structures […]
Thank you for wonderful article on Monsoon checklist for building.
Good site! I truly love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made. I’ve subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a great day!